Start by having your entire materials ready and they will include lobster clasp, jump rings, jewelry chain, foam brush, mod podge, gold leaf, wood beads and pliers/cutter. You can add more supplies as you may wish to make your experience wonderful. After that, you will be ready to proceed and the following instructions will apply:
- Start by brushing mod podge into your wooden beads with a foam brush. It has to be in a thin layer. The beads should be covered with glue and then place them on the gold leaf. After that, roll it up such that both sides of the beads are covered.
- Each bead should then be rolled using your hands. In that process, foil will fall off and the beads will assume a speckled finish.
- Check out all the holes in your beads to make sure no glue is left. You can remove anything using a toothpick or even skewer as long as it covers the entire section. The holes have to remain clear.
- To have the gold leaf concealed from your wooden beads, you should roll an additional thin layer of mod podge. Make sure you don’t use that in excesses.
- Your beads will now be finished and place them on a paper plate. Allow them enough time to dry and you need to rotate them to avoid sticking. Also, that will ensure all sides of the beads have the opportunity to dry out.
- When the wooden beads have dried completely, the next step will be stringing them to the chain you are to use for making the necklace. Make sure the chain is of the desired length as per the size of the neck where it will be worn. If there is excess part of the chain, cut it off using the pliers/cutter.
- Using pliers open up the jump ring and have it strung on one end of the chain then close it up. Repeat the same process to the second end of the chain but add the lobster clasp. After that, close it up and the necklace will be ready for use.
That is how easy it will be creating a necklace using wooden beads. The only thing you need to ensure is that these instructions have been followed to the letter. You can only ignore anything at your own peril. Handle everything with a lot of care because simple errors will be very costly to your jewelry project on the long-term. In case of anything that you are not conversant with, be free to ask for assistance.